7.3. 2016 Blogi

Anatomy of a move

"You might think that you have learned something useful from six previous moves. Well, maybe a little. Previously we had made more detailed plans and the plans worked", writes Jaana Putta in the blog.


On Tuesday, 26 January 2016 the lightning struck! My supervisor called from Stockholm and told me that 27 employees and the furniture, multi-function devices, printers, plants and all other property spread over a floor area of 850 square metres has to be moved to new premises within eight days. My first thought was that it’s an early April Fools’ Day prank! After banging my head to the desk for a few times, my next thought was to call a moving firm. The good news of the day was that they were able to clear three days in their calendar just for us.

Next up was coaching the personnel and more detailed planning of the move. That was soon followed by panic: who has ever heard of information technology working faultlessly right after moving? It meant that the February payroll had to be calculated in advance. And precious moving time was wasted on that.

We also had to arrange transport for leasing equipment or get a permission to transport them by ourselves. That was luckily sorted out with a couple of phone calls. I prepared notices on moving to the Post and newspapers. The contracts for cleaning and security guarding had to be terminated. Temporary premises had to be arranged for conference rooms and personnel was instructed to guide their guests elsewhere.

You might think that you have learned something useful from six previous moves. Well, maybe a little. Previously we had made more detailed plans and the plans worked. The moves were carried out at weekend when there were no other people in the offices. This time we had to share the lifts with the students of the Adult Education Centre of the Turku Vocational Institute and other people working in the same staircase of DataCity. Thanks and apologies to everyone! I haven’t received any major complaints.

Two days after the lightning strike, a total of 420 moving boxes arrived in our office. The whole personnel participated in filling them up. Luckily most of our staff was in the office and not travelling, so there were plenty of helping hands. In addition to packing things, we donated and threw away lots of stuff. Our new premises in ICT-City have only half of the floor area of the old office.

Unfortunately the provider of the 240-litre rubbish containers wasn’t up to our speed. I still don’t know exactly how many filled data security containers and regular rubbish containers went out. Every morning we assessed which pile was deemed as rubbish, and what goods were usable and needed to be packed.

A week after the phone call from Stockholm the actual transport of the goods started. Over three days we moved the furniture, our things and ourselves to a new location a few hundred meters away.

Eight working days after the phone call, on 8 February, I stepped into the new premises. The lobby resembled a jungle. I used both hands to clear my way in through the plants and furniture. Desks and shelves were assembled quickly and despite the doubts the information technology worked fine once it was plugged in.

Already on Wednesday the same lobby looked completely different: the moving men had turned into interior decorators and made it a very pleasant place! The same men planned a new layout for our old tables, and a week after the move they came up with elevation parts for a low desk to ensure ergonomics.

So here we are in ICT-City, still looking for the other bicycle pump!

Jaana Putta
The writer was responsible for the co-ordination of Turku Science Park Ltd’s seventh move. Jaana’s desk is now located in ICT-City, Joukahaisenkatu 3-5, staircase A, 4th floor.